Saturday, February 22, 2014
How Does Walking Help To Lose Weight?
Posted by Green Yatra at 5:42 PMModerate physical activity is a must for those trying to lose weight. Walking is one of the easiest and most economical ways to do so. It is no wonder then, that it is one of the most preferred forms of exercises among people of all age groups. It is imperative for any form of exercise that is chosen in order to lose weight to be performed on a regular basis. It is for this reason that doctors and nutritionists highly recommend walking exercise as it can not only be a year round activity, but can also fit effortlessly into everyday life. A few other reasons for its soaring popularity are mentioned below. Walking For Weight Loss
1. Burns calories:Walking is good for those who are just starting of with the idea of working out. An hour of walk everyday together with a healthy diet is a good tool to cut down the extra flab. The number of calories burnt is directly proportional to the speed employed and the distance covered while walking. This makes walking for weight loss a very popular idea among the beginners!
2. Reduces the risk of diseases:Walking increases the blood circulation within the body, which in turn keeps all heart related diseases at bay. Walking regularly also increases the bone density and reduces the risk of osteoporosis and other bone related disorders. It is also said to significantly reduce the risk of developing diabetes, colon cancer and breast cancer.
3. Energizes the body:Walking stimulates the circulation of blood in the body and simultaneously boosts all metabolic activities. A brisk walk elevates the mood, perks up the energy levels and regulates blood pressure and cholesterol levels too.
4. Best and easy workout:Walking is one of the easiest and most economical ways to stay physically active. This can be done almost anywhere and at any time. Although walking outdoors can be quite refreshing, it can also be done inside the house on a treadmill.
5. Stress buster:Walking is directly linked to a reduction in the stress levels. Its benefits can be equated to those of aerobic exercises that help to calm down the nerves. While walking, the body releases endorphin which in turn stimulates relaxation.
6. Strengthens the muscles:Walking keeps the bones, muscles and joints healthy. Regular walking strengthens the muscles of the legs particularly the hamstrings and quadriceps. Tips to consider while walking:
- It is always better to work out early in the morning so that the body is sufficiently energized and the circulation of blood increases. Moreover a walk in the mornings is also favourable for the body to absorb vitamin D from the first rays of the sun.
- A brisk walk is what is necessary to burn more calories if the target is to lose a few extra pounds. The faster you walk the more calories you burn.
- Do not walk after a meal. Although some say that walking immediately after a meal might improve digestion, it is a false notion as walking or working out after a meal affects the flow of digestive juices thereby hindering the breakdown of food.
- Fuelling the body with lots of water while walking briskly is not advisable as doing so might harm the respiratory system. Hydrate your body with fluids before you embark on a walk or 5min after completion of the workout. Drinking natural energy juices like beetroot juice before walking can revitalize the metabolic processes thereby helping the body to burn more calories.